Developing a strong sense of self-esteem can help you fulfill your potential, develop healthy relationships, and make everyone around you see you as someone who deserves respect. If you really want to value yourself, then you have to accept yourself and work towards becoming the person you’ve always dreamed of being. Take steps to know how to feel happy with who you are and make the world treat you the way you deserve to be treated.
1 Right mindset
- Know yourself. The more you understand about yourself, the more you will see and appreciate how unique you really are, and the more you will value yourself. Discover your principles, personality and talents. This exciting process of self-discovery may take some time to complete, but you will quickly see that it was worth it.
Make a list of things, people, feelings and activities that are important to you. This will help you determine what you really like and need in your life.
Try different activities. This will give you a chance to see what you like and what you don’t.
Try writing in a journal. Pretend you’re talking to your 99-year-old self and asking for advice on what to focus on in your life. You can also start with a writing prompt: “What do I want to avoid writing about?” This will start an honest conversation with yourself.
Spending time with yourself pretending to be dating. Try a new restaurant that is exactly what you would like to do. This will give you a chance to connect with your own feelings and opinions.
- Forgive yourself. If you want to respect yourself, you have to be able to forgive yourself for the things you have done in the past that you are not proud of. Admit that what you did was wrong, apologize to others if necessary, and work to move forward. If you are too hard on yourself for making a bad decision or saying something hurtful, then you will never be able to move on. Know that you are human. People make mistakes. Making mistakes is how we learn, so accept them and forgive yourself.
- Accept yourself. Be yourself, learn to love and accept who you are. That doesn’t mean you have to think you’re perfect, but you have to learn to embrace yourself. Be happy with all the things you love about yourself and be okay with the parts of yourself that are less than perfect, especially the ones you can’t change.
Stop saying you’ll love yourself even if you lose twenty pounds and start loving the person you are right here, right now.
- Work on building your confidence. Achieving self-esteem is difficult if you are not happy with who you are, how you look, or what you do. Building real confidence takes a lot of work, but doing a few simple things every day can start you on your way.
Start by maintaining positive body language and posture, smiling more, and thinking at least three good thoughts about yourself every hour.
If someone compliments you, accept their statement by saying, “Thank you.”
- Keep a positive attitude. A positive attitude can make or break your success in life, as can your thoughts on who you are. Even if things don’t go your way, rest assured that something good will definitely happen in the end. Be content with your everyday life and all it has to offer. If you feel overly negative about everything and only imagine the worst in every situation, then you will never feel good about who you are or give yourself the respect you deserve.
For example, if you’ve applied for a job you really want, don’t say, “There’s no way I’m going to get it. There are far more qualified applicants.” Instead, say, “It would be so exciting to get the job. Even if I don’t get asked to interview, I’m proud of myself for applying.”